
Mamelodi Sundowns have suffered a major setback after right-back Khuliso Mudau sustained a serious Achilles tendon injury during their 2-0 victory over Marumo Gallants on Wednesday evening.
Mudau was forced off in the 38th minute after picking up the injury and had to be stretchered off the field. He was replaced by Zuko Mdunyelwa.
Sundowns head coach Miguel Cardoso confirmed after the match that the injury could be serious, although the full extent of the damage is yet to be determined.
“Mudau has a very serious injury,” Cardoso told SuperSport TV.
“Obviously, a player of his quality and calibre is a big loss for South Africa and, especially, for us.”
Mudau injured for Sundowns
The potential absence of Mudau would be a huge blow for the defending champions. The 30-year-old has established himself as one of the best right-backs in South African football since joining Sundowns six years ago.
Mudau’s performances have also earned him regular recognition at international level, making the injury a concern for Bafana Bafana ahead of their upcoming commitments.
Despite the setback, Cardoso was pleased with the result and singled out Marcelo Allende for praise after the midfielder was named Man of the Match.
“I’m happy for Marcelo Allende. I think South Africa doesn’t recognise the quality of the player Marcelo is,” Cardoso said.
“It is unbelievable that after five years he has never won the Midfielder of the Season award. Maybe this season, as he has said this could be the last, or at least the last year of his contract, somehow he will be recognised.”
For Sundowns, however, the focus will now turn to Mudau’s recovery. Should the Achilles injury prove as serious as feared, the influential defender could face a lengthy spell on the sidelines and potentially miss the remainder of the season.
His absence would leave Sundowns without one of their most dependable defenders and could also have significant consequences for Bafana Bafana.













