Skip to content
Soccer Bullet
Menu
  • Home
  • Latest News
  • Premier Soccer League
    • Betway Premiership
    • Motsepe Foundation Championship
    • Kaizer Chiefs
    • Orlando Pirates
    • Mamelodi Sundowns
  • English Premier League
  • TRENDING NEWS
    • Transfer Centre
  • International
    • UEFA Champions League
    • UEFA Europa League
    • African Football
    • CAF Champions League
    • CAF Confederation Cup
    • Africa Cup Of Nations
    • Bundesliga
    • LaLiga
    • Ligue 1
    • Serie A
    • Women’s Football
  • About
Menu

SARU mulls 2035 Rugby World Cup bid after World Rugby talks

Posted on September 29, 2025

The South African Rugby Union (SARU) is considering a bid to host the 2035 Rugby World Cup, marking a possible return to the global stage for a nation that last hosted the tournament 30 years ago.

SARU confirmed that it will consult with World Rugby to better understand the hosting requirements before making a final decision.

Free Spins, Flights, and Bets on Betway

The move represents a significant U-turn after SARU previously stated it could no longer afford to bid for future tournaments due to financial constraints.

“We are in discussions to fully understand the conditions for hosting. No decision has been taken yet,” a SARU spokesperson reportedly said.

Background: South Africa’s Hosting Legacy

South Africa famously hosted – and won – the 1995 Rugby World Cup, a landmark moment in both sporting and political history.

The Springboks’ triumph under captain Francois Pienaar, alongside Nelson Mandela, remains one of the most iconic events in international sport.

The country was also a strong contender to host the 2023 edition but lost out to France in a shock final vote.

World Rugby officially opened the bidding process for the 2035 tournament this week in London.

Interested nations can begin expressing intent from October 2025, with final host selection scheduled for November 2027.

Japan, which hosted the 2019 tournament, has already confirmed its intention to bid.

More countries are expected to follow, making the 2035 race highly competitive.

Financial Support Unclear

Even if SARU is encouraged by discussions with World Rugby, questions remain about whether the South African government will offer the necessary financial backing.

Earlier this year, SARU said it would be “irresponsible” to commit to a bid without clear support, citing the high costs of hosting a global sporting event.

World Rugby Chair Brett Robinson described the 2035 tournament as “a major opportunity to unlock new audiences and grow the game globally.”

“Rugby World Cups are our sport’s most powerful platform. We see 2035 as a chance to inspire and unite through rugby,” said Robinson.

Key Dates in the Bidding Process

  • October 2025: Countries express interest
  • 2026: Detailed applications submitted
  • Late 2026 – Early 2027: Site inspections and feasibility studies
  • May 2027: Preferred host identified
  • November 2027: Final decision announced

If South Africa does move forward, it could host the Rugby World Cup exactly 40 years after the 1995 tournament – a milestone that would add symbolic weight to its bid.

The next Rugby World Cup in 2027 will be held in Australia, while the 2031 edition will be staged in the United States.

Would you like to see SARU bid to host the 2035 Rugby World Cup?

Let us know by clicking on the comment banner below …

Latest News

  • Kaze proud of Chiefs fight in Zamalek draw
  • Tso Makes Bullish Pirates Claim
  • Solomons saves Kaizer Chiefs’ blushes against Zamalek
  • Makgopa and Maswanganyi take Pirates top of the log past Sundowns
  • Zamalek files complaint to CAF after Kaizer Chiefs match

About Us

COLORMAG
Soccer Bullet is a weekly football newspaper with a large focus on PSL football stars, breaking news and football features from renowned journalists in the industry.
The Soccer Bullet website is your 24 hour portal to the latest football news as well as a content hub where you can access on Soccer Bullet Website Sales Email: info@soccerbullet.co.za
COLORMAG
Soccer Bullet is a weekly football newspaper with a large focus on PSL football stars, breaking news and football features from renowned journalists in the industry.
The Soccer Bullet website is your 24 hour portal to the latest football news as well as a content hub where you can access on Soccer Bullet Website Sales Email: info@soccerbullet.co.za

Latest News

  • Kaze proud of Chiefs fight in Zamalek draw
  • Tso Makes Bullish Pirates Claim
  • Solomons saves Kaizer Chiefs’ blushes against Zamalek
  • Makgopa and Maswanganyi take Pirates top of the log past Sundowns
  • Zamalek files complaint to CAF after Kaizer Chiefs match
  • Pirates coach admits to first half woes against City
  • Updated Betway Premiership log after Pirates win
©2025 Soccer Bullet | Design: Newspaperly WordPress Theme
Go to mobile version