Skip to content
Soccer Bullet
Menu
  • Home
  • Latest News
  • Premier Soccer League
    • Betway Premiership
    • Motsepe Foundation Championship
    • Kaizer Chiefs
    • Orlando Pirates
    • Mamelodi Sundowns
  • English Premier League
  • TRENDING NEWS
    • Transfer Centre
  • International
    • UEFA Champions League
    • UEFA Europa League
    • African Football
    • CAF Champions League
    • CAF Confederation Cup
    • Africa Cup Of Nations
    • Bundesliga
    • LaLiga
    • Ligue 1
    • Serie A
    • Women’s Football
  • About
Menu

‘We need to rebuild’: Cardoso on Sundowns’ struggles

Posted on August 28, 2025
74

Mamelodi Sundowns head coach Miguel Cardoso says his team is in a rebuilding phase after losing a few key players.

With Lucas Ribeiro’s future in doubt, Masandawana have had to dig deep without their best player. On top of that, the club has parted ways with 11 players since the conclusion of the FIFA Club World Cup.

Miguel Cardoso, who has been in charge of Sundowns for just under a year, feels the club is on the right track despite a poor start to the season.

“Part of the past was done with me, with the players, since I arrived, I remember, this club for 10 years didn’t arrive in the final of the Champions League and we did it,” Cardoso said as per iDiski Times.

“And we kept winning the championship, breaking all records in the PSL, except one – so this is the respect that was done also for the people who arrived in the club, not just the ones that were here – everybody works very hard every day and deserve respect.

Cardoso feeling the heat at Sundowns

“This is the trust we have inside the club, a big commitment, big trust between everybody in Mamelodi Sundowns which is important to understand – everyone wants to win every match but no team wins every match,” said the Sundowns coach.

So far, the Brazilians are unbeaten this season, having played four draws and three wins in the seven matches across all competitions. Downs supporters have been critical of the coach since the team’s early exit at the Club World Cup.

“If you are really fair to everyone who works in Sundowns, the coaching staff, the technical department, the sporting director, you understand the team that played the World Cup is not the same team playing right now,” Cardoso added.

“The impact of the players that are absent are so big on this team that we need to rebuild and rebuilding is done with a moment where players are still young, last year some of them didn’t play – we’re rebuilding and happy to do that and pleased.

“We will arrive where we want to arrive, we know which direction we’re going, very well, believe me and we’re so committed on that work – so strong inside the club, and we will become stronger with victories following one after the other, its our nature, it will happen.”

It remains to be seen if Cardoso will improve Sundowns in the coming weeks.

Can Sundowns turn the corner?

Let us know by leaving a comment below, or send a WhatsApp to 060 011 0211.

Subscribe to The South African website’s newsletters and follow us on WhatsApp, Facebook, X and Bluesky for the latest news. 

Latest News

  • Nabi – We Won’t Have To Make Those Bigger Investments
  • Orlando Pirates star has to go to Europe
  • Jose Riveiro return and MTN8 final venue
  • Ngezana Books European Ticket – iDiski Times
  • Al-Ahly begin search for Riveiro’s replacement

About Us

COLORMAG
Soccer Bullet is a weekly football newspaper with a large focus on PSL football stars, breaking news and football features from renowned journalists in the industry.
The Soccer Bullet website is your 24 hour portal to the latest football news as well as a content hub where you can access on Soccer Bullet Website Sales Email: info@soccerbullet.co.za
COLORMAG
Soccer Bullet is a weekly football newspaper with a large focus on PSL football stars, breaking news and football features from renowned journalists in the industry.
The Soccer Bullet website is your 24 hour portal to the latest football news as well as a content hub where you can access on Soccer Bullet Website Sales Email: info@soccerbullet.co.za

Latest News

  • Nabi – We Won’t Have To Make Those Bigger Investments
  • Orlando Pirates star has to go to Europe
  • Jose Riveiro return and MTN8 final venue
  • Ngezana Books European Ticket – iDiski Times
  • Al-Ahly begin search for Riveiro’s replacement
  • UCL League Phase Fixtures Confirmed
  • ‘We need to rebuild’: Cardoso on Sundowns’ struggles
©2025 Soccer Bullet | Design: Newspaperly WordPress Theme