Skip to content
Soccer Bullet
Menu
  • Home
  • Latest News
  • Premier Soccer League
    • Betway Premiership
    • Motsepe Foundation Championship
    • Kaizer Chiefs
    • Orlando Pirates
    • Mamelodi Sundowns
  • English Premier League
  • TRENDING NEWS
    • Transfer Centre
  • International
    • UEFA Champions League
    • UEFA Europa League
    • African Football
    • CAF Champions League
    • CAF Confederation Cup
    • Africa Cup Of Nations
    • Bundesliga
    • LaLiga
    • Ligue 1
    • Serie A
    • Women’s Football
  • About
Menu

Ellis Opens Up On Banyana Return After Contract Stall

Posted on November 27, 2025

Banyana Banyana head coach Desiree Ellis has broken her silence after making a return to the fold following contractual issues with the South African Football Association (SAFA).

Ellis had been without a contract since the 2025 Women’s AFCON after initially being appointed on an interim basis in 2016 following Vera Pauw’s exit. She was then handed a permanent contract two years later.

Last month, the 62-year-old WAFCON winner finally put pen-to-paper on her new contract though it took longer than expected for certain things to be ironed out which saw Ellis miss Banyana’s successful WAFCON qualifiers against the DRC.

The former Banyana skipper was said to have been displeased with SAFA’s proposed remuneration package though she has now confirmed that all has been sorted as they prepare for the friendly international against Morocco on 2 December.

“Yeah, now everything is sorted,” she said on Game On with Thabiso on Radio 2000.

“I’m very happy that it’s sorted, and I must say a big thank you to the CEO [Lydia Monyepao] for understanding, support as well. I really appreciate it.

“It was a tough decision to make [not to go to Congo] but sometimes we have to make those decisions.

“Sometimes you have to feel the value, you also have to stand up for what you feel is right and I just needed to make sure that was right.

“It’s been a while since this was sorted, and I just needed to make sure it was sorted but I had no doubt that the team would still do well.

“We had sort of agreed but I didn’t feel it was proper to sit on the bench [for the WAFCON qualifier second leg]. I had not been in training, I had contact with coach Thina [Thinasonke Mbuli] on a regular basis, but I had not been at training, and I felt that the distraction for such a big game, it was not worth for me just wanting to sit on the bench.

“I didn’t think for me it was gonna be proper for me to sit on the bench.”

Did you know that the iDiski Times Digital Newspaper is completely free! Download it now by clicking the button below or fill in the form to have it sent to you every week.

Latest News

  • Mofokeng reacts after clinching Man of the Match in Pirates’ win
  • Chiefs coaches’ jobs on the line: Two fixtures left
  • Broos to cut big names on Monday
  • Sundowns fans call for Rulani’s return after tactical masterclass in Algeria
  • Kaze Reserves Special Praise For Chiefs Star

About Us

COLORMAG
Soccer Bullet is a weekly football newspaper with a large focus on PSL football stars, breaking news and football features from renowned journalists in the industry.
The Soccer Bullet website is your 24 hour portal to the latest football news as well as a content hub where you can access on Soccer Bullet Website Sales Email: info@soccerbullet.co.za
COLORMAG
Soccer Bullet is a weekly football newspaper with a large focus on PSL football stars, breaking news and football features from renowned journalists in the industry.
The Soccer Bullet website is your 24 hour portal to the latest football news as well as a content hub where you can access on Soccer Bullet Website Sales Email: info@soccerbullet.co.za

Latest News

  • Mofokeng reacts after clinching Man of the Match in Pirates’ win
  • Chiefs coaches’ jobs on the line: Two fixtures left
  • Broos to cut big names on Monday
  • Sundowns fans call for Rulani’s return after tactical masterclass in Algeria
  • Kaze Reserves Special Praise For Chiefs Star
  • Tactical duel delights Cardoso as Sundowns fire blanks in Algeria
  • Rulani – I Fought For This Downs Star To Stay
©2025 Soccer Bullet | Design: Newspaperly WordPress Theme
Go to mobile version